October 26, 2006

Go Dave!


I think maybe I should write a book about how you invent and promote standards for fun and profit, because what I'm doing here is exactly what I did when I started blogging, or publishing in XML and then RSS, or started pushing audio blog posts as enclosures in my RSS feeds. You start by putting two things next to each other that you think should work together. Then you shorten the distance, and shorten it again, and keep optimizing until you have something that other people could use. Then you tell them about it, and tell them again, and again and so on until you have a standard.

1 comment:

John Powers said...

I may not get it but this seems a piece with Winer's innovative strategy. What stands out is the idea that "fun" is a reason for a business: bottom line, it's got to be fun. Oh I do like that.